May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month and we would like to share tips on keeping children’s’ skin safe from the sun’s damaging UV rays. Children are especially vulnerable to the potential harmful effects of UV light because their skin is thinner and has less melanin than adults.
Here are some tips:
- Keep babies and small children out of direct sunlight from 10am to 4pm
- Cover up with UPF clothing and accessories like sun hats and Sun Angels UPF sun sleeves
- Use SPF 30 sunscreen for those areas not covered like the back of the hands and ears
- Remember to reapply sunscreen after 2 hours and reapply after getting wet
- Try natural sunscreens over chemical forms for children with sensitive skin
- Cover the stroller canopy with a blanket for added sun protection
- Play in the shade as often as possible
- Remember sun protection everyday not just while at the beach or pool
Have a great May!
Leave a comment