As June 21st marks the first day of summer, we thought it would be appropriate to share some ideas on how to stay sun safe with your kids this summer.
* First, seek the shade during the hours when the sun’s rays are the strongest, between 10 am and 4 pm. Even on cloudy days up to 80% of the sun’s rays can penetrate the clouds and reflect off sand, water and concrete. Or try indoor activities like a trip to the museum or an indoor play park.
* If you will be swimming make sure to wear UPF swim clothing and re-apply sunscreen to your child after getting out of the water. And remember sunscreen needs to be applied 15 minutes prior to going out to form a good base of protection.
* When playing outside make sure to cover-up with UPF clothing and accessories and re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours. If you are going to a park for a picnic bring along a wide umbrella.
* Don’t forget sun glasses to protect their eyes.
* Also, it is important for parents to practice sun safety as well since kids tend to do as we do.